Saturday 17 February 2018

Rain breaks dry spell

DUST off that umbrella as the sunny spell the country has been enjoying is set to take a short break at the weekend. Rain is set to sweep across from the south later tonight.

Met Eireann forecaster Siobhan Ryan said that the bright sunny spells could break as early as this evening, and that this is a trend that looks likely to continue tomorrow but will hopefully be gone by Sunday.


A NOTORIOUS Limerick criminal was in garda custody last night in connection with a violent disorder incident in the city earlier this year.

The 36-year-old, who has served time in prison in England, was among four men arrested in relation to an incident in which another man suffered stab wounds to his head. The 33-year-old victim was attacked by a group of men wearing balaclavas at Vale Avenue, Carew Park, Limerick on February 13 last.


Bus Eireann is in a race against time to provide transport to 2,000 school children in Co Donegal next week following the collapse of Ireland's oldest bus company.

Lough Swilly Bus Company went into receivership earlier this month, followed by liquidation, with the loss of 20 jobs. It had provided services on 50 school bus routes. However, the State bus company said it expects to be able to provide alternative transportation for around 2,000 children when they return to class next week.


A US military transport plane made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after the crew reported they had suffered a fuel leak over the Atlantic.

The United States Navy C130H Hercules, with the nickname 'Shenanigans' printed on the fuselage, was about 300km west of Ireland over the Atlantic yesterday when the crew declared an emergency and requested permission to land at Shannon. It wasn't clear last night how long the plane would be grounded at Shannon. The crew are staying in a local hotel.


THE body of a murdered gangland criminal's son has been found five days after he was reported missing. Glen Murphy, from Cappagh Avenue in Finglas, Dublin, whose father and uncle were murdered in two separate gangland killings, was last seen alive on April 12.

The body of the 20-year-old Dublin man was found yesterday in the Royal Canal near Binns Bridge in Drumcondra. Foul play is not suspected.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News