News Irish News

Wednesday 20 November 2019

Quinns' united on visit to jail

MOUNTJOY VISIT: Sean and Patricia Quinn with Karen Woods after they visited Sean Quinn Jnr in Dublin's Mountjoy Prison
last week. Photo: David Conachy
MOUNTJOY VISIT: Sean and Patricia Quinn with Karen Woods after they visited Sean Quinn Jnr in Dublin's Mountjoy Prison last week. Photo: David Conachy

NIAMH HORAN

Former tycoon Sean Quinn and his wife Patricia visited their son in jail last week, just days before their legal team withdrew from representing them at the High Court.

As things went from bad to worse for Ireland's former richest family, the couple were pictured for the first time together at Mountjoy training unit.

Mrs Quinn bore a grim expression as they made their way to their car, refusing to comment save for Mr Quinn saying he was doing 'OK'. They were joined by their daughter-in-law, Karen Woods.

It is exactly a month until the bankrupt businessman finds out whether he will be joining his son Sean Jnr behind bars.

The case is now making headlines worldwide, with The New York Times describing him as "the most notable casualty of Ireland's economic collapse" in the run up to Friday's deadline for Quinn to provide information on what the Government contends is his complex collection of offshore assets and opaque owners.

This weekend, the family released a defiant statement in the face of their continuing legal battle, saying: "We are annoyed and frustrated to confirm that due to the financial position we have been placed in as a result of Anglo's hostile takeover of our companies, and recent court orders obtained by the bank, we have been forced to instruct our legal team, Eversheds, and counsel to immediately withdraw from representing us."

Describing it as a "disastrous scenario", they said: "We have done everything in our power to avoid this litigation dispute and have tried to reach an amicable resolution with the new management of Anglo, through numerous approaches and proposals, all of which have been rejected.

"We therefore remain steadfast in our resolve to bring the main litigation to a successful conclusion, and are absolutely confident that justice will ultimately prevail," they added.

In an interview published last week by The New York Times, Mr Quinn spoke about the prospect of ending up in prison. "If I go to jail, fine. If I go to prison, we'll still be able to let the country know the real picture. If I go to prison, that will just show the strength of the man."

Meanwhile, the former Anglo Irish Bank has denied placing the Quinn family under surveillance by "tailing" them and tapping their phones. Mr Quinn Snr told an international newspaper that "the authorities were persecuting his family by tapping members' phones and tailing them". But Mr Quinn did not detail who "the authorities" were.

The IBRC -- formerly Anglo -- said that it was "not engaged in any such activities" in relation to Sean Quinn "or anybody else".

Sunday Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News