Parents at a Dublin school where a six-year-old boy was seriously injured after being knocked down on the street outside are demanding traffic-calming measures be put in place.
He is in a serious condition in hospital after he was struck by a car on Thursday after he left Booterstown National School.
Parents who witnessed the accident described how the young boy appeared to be unconscious.
Paramedics took him by ambulance to Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital Crumlin, before he was later moved to Temple Street Children’s Hospital.
Outraged parents yesterday took to the streets to call for traffic-calming measures to be introduced outside of the school.
They said they had been calling on the council to take action “for years”.
The boy’s grandmother, Patricia Butler, said that he was in intensive care and that the family were hoping he would be OK.
“You have to wait until a child is hit, lying in intensive care before they do anything,” said Patricia.
“It is traumatic for parents to see this and my daughter saw it. She saw her child being hit,” she added.
The chairwoman of the school’s Board of Management, Reverend Gillian Wharton, said that they had been highlighting the danger passing traffic posed to pupils to Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council for years, but that little progress had being made. “Sadly what happened was an accident and it wasn’t the fault of anybody,” said Reverend Wharton.
“The person was driving at an appropriate speed, but unfortunately accidents happen and measures have to be taken to help people recognise that there are a lot of children around,” she added.
The council previously carried out a review of the issue, but decided that additional traffic calming measures were unnecessary.
The council declined to comment last night as they were “awaiting the conclusion of a garda investigation”.
Local councillor and former Minister for Education Mary Hanafin said that she was very aware of the issue, having taught at a nearby school for 17 years.