Friday 15 December 2017

Protesters vow to carry on as camp removed

Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

PROTESTERS involved in the Occupy movement have vowed to set up another camp or take over an empty building -- after their final camp in the country was demolished in Galway yesterday morning.

Campaigners insisted it would not mark the end of their campaign, saying they were in contact with similar groups around the country about phase two of the protest.

Members said they had been preparing for their removal from Eyre Square for months.

"We will attempt to go into another camp in Galway, there are also a number of derelict buildings of importance and we're working with other community groups about setting up an office in one of these," said protester Liam Heffernan.

Protesters

The group also plans to set up an information stand in the Galway square each evening and will continue to hold daily assemblies in the square.

Mr Heffernan said he believed the dismantling of the camp would force protesters to become more active in the community.

There had been other camps in Dublin, Cork and Waterford.

Local Fine Gael councillor Padraig Conneely, who was openly opposed to the camp, was heckled by protesters as he walked through the square yesterday afternoon.

Telling one protester to "get a life", Mr Conneely added that if any of them wanted to air their issues they should stand for election.

Galway City Council's Director of Services, Ciaran Hayes, said the operation to remove the camp had been planned for some time.

The council had said the camp should be removed before the Volvo Ocean Race grand finale next month.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News