Protection safeguards thrown around Moore St
THE Government is throwing a protection blanket around the site of the last stand of the 1916 Easter Rising.
Numbers 14-17 Moore Street, often described as Ireland's version of the 'Alamo', will have to be conserved in any development of the area.
Arts Minister Jimmy Deenihan has signed an order of consent for works at the Moore Street National Monument.
The order approves the creation of a commemorative centre at the site, involving the full repair and conservation of these buildings.
But the minister's decision also means an underground car park, proposed by a developer, cannot take place.
Mr Deenihan's order covers the four houses, back yards and facades backing on to Moore Lane at the site where the 1916 leaders fell back to after evacuating the GPO.
The final headquarters of the leaders of the Rising before they surrendered was at No 16 Moore Street.
The minister did allow for certain development to happen, including the creation of a commemorative centre. But it rules out any demolition of the 1916 structure or works underneath the national monument.
The decision brings some clarity to the status of the buildings and what development can take place at the site, which has fallen into serious disrepair.
Although the site was declared a national monument five years ago, planning permission was granted in 2010 for a shopping centre between the site and O'Connell Street.
The developer behind the shopping centre is Chartered Land, which built Dundrum Shopping Centre, and has made proposals for an interpretative centre at the site. Two years ago, an application for consent was made to the minister for a range of works at the monument, including the creation of a commemorative centre and facilities for visitors, along with the demolition of the Moore Lane facades at Nos. 15 and 16.
Under the consent signed by Minister Deenihan today, the following works will be allowed:
* the creation of a commemorative centre at the national monument at Nos. 14-17 Moore Street;
* the full repair and conservation of the buildings at Nos. 14-17 Moore Street;
* the demolition of non-original, post 1916, additions and partitions in Nos. 14-17 Moore Street;
* the demolition of Nos. 13, 18 and 19 Moore Street, which contain no pre-1916 elements.