Primary school pupils rushed to hospital in health scare 'thought tablets were sweets'
Gardaí are investigating whether two Dublin primary school students ingested tablets on their lunch break last week.
The investigation was launched after the young boys were hospitalised after the incident in a primary school in Blanchardstown.
School staff raised the alarm after the children became unwell on January 22.
The two pupils were brought to Temple Street Hospital as a precaution.
It was reported in the 'Irish Daily Star' that a child (11) was allegedly given a tablet by a fellow student at a West Dublin primary school.
The paper claim the student "swallowed it before turning blue and collapsing."
It's understood the two young children underwent tests in hospital.
A source told the Irish Independent nobody can say for definite what the substance was until the results are released.
"Parents [of children in the school] are of the understanding that whatever is being alleged is true.
"However, nobody can make a call on it until the results of the tests come out.
"The parents haven't heard anything official from either the school or from the guards at this point," said the source.
Speaking to 98FM's 'Dublin Talks' yesterday, the older sister of one of the children hospitalised said her brother thought he had been given sweets.
She said she believed her brother had handed his friend a tablet when they were in the school yard.
She also told the radio show her brother had no trace of ecstasy in his blood or urine sample.
"They haven't proof it was ecstasy tablets," she said.
A Garda spokesman confirmed they were called out to the school on a Monday afternoon of last week.
"On the 22nd January 2018, gardaí from Blanchardstown attended a school in Blanchardstown," the Garda said in a statement.
"An incident had been reported to them by school staff.
The statement continued saying: "Two students attended Temple Street Hospital as a precaution."
When asked whether they are probing if the children had taken drugs, the spokesman said the "incident remains under investigation."
The school in question could not be contacted for comment last night.