News Irish News

Friday 13 December 2019

Postmistress, her daughter and Italian student held hostage by criminal gang in tiger kidnapping

Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald has condemned the perpetrators of last night's terrifying tiger kidnapping.

Three women were held hostage during the ordeal overnight.

Garda outside Bayside Post office. Bayside, Dublin, Dublin
Garda outside Bayside Post office. Bayside, Dublin, Dublin
General view of Garda outside Bayside Post office. Bayside, Dublin, Dublin. Picture: Caroline Quinn

It's believed three armed and masked men entered a home in Seabury, Malahide, North County Dublin, and took the three women hostage at around 1am.

It's understood to be the home of the postmistress.

The gang then took the postmistresss, her daughter and and Italian student hostage.

The postmistress was then brought to Bayside Post Office in Sutton this morning and made hand over a substantial amount of cash to the gang.

Staff at the post this morning
Staff at the post this morning

It is understood the money was kept in a safe which had a timelock on it.

However, the gang of three men were "confident" enough to wait until the safe was released from the lock and took the money, believed to be in the region of €90,000.

Bayside Post office as staff erect a notice
Bayside Post office as staff erect a notice

Tonight, the Justice Minister said: 'So-called tiger kidnappings are a particularly callous and cowardly form of crime. Our thoughts must be with the victims of such a despicable crime earlier today as well as the hope that they can recover from their dreadful ordeal." 

"I commend the actions of the Gardaí in their determined efforts to thwart those who carry out such evil acts and ensure that they are brought to justice."

It's understood a specialist garda unit was tipped off that this incident was occurring and they contacted the Emergency Response Unit.

The criminal gang were spotted by gardai when they were leaving Bayside and they pursued them.

It's understood the gang crashed the car near Malahide Park.

They then ran into the grounds of Malahide Castle and surrounding areas in a bid to flee gardai.

A major search operation was then launched and gardai arrested one man.

The man was arrested after Emergency Response Unit (ERU) assisted by other Garda units intercepted a car on the Malahide Road.

Cash was recovered from the car in which the man was travelling.  A number of shots were discharged by Gardaí at this scene.

The man, a known criminal from Swords but now living in the city centre, was arrested and is now in custody at Coolock Garda Station.

One bag of cash has been recovered.

It's believed gardai fired a number of shots during the operation.

Two other men remain at large - a man in his 40s and another man in his 50s - but gardai are following a definite line of enquiry.

Gardai have released detailed descriptions of the two men they are looking for - one man is in his late 40s/early 50s with a chubby build, 5 foot 10 in height and he was wearing dark leggings and similar top.

The other man is also in his late 40s/ early 50s, chubby build, dark grey hair, wearing blue runners with a green stripe.

Both men spoke with Dublin accents.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Gardai on 01- 666 4200 , Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda Station

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News