'There is a tremendous pride among the people who live there' - Minister rejects calls for new taskforce for Ballymun
Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty has criticised calls for the establishment of a new taskforce for Ballymun on the back of last week’s double murder.
Ms Doherty says gangland crime should be tackled through greater resources being given to An Garda Síochána - not the establishment of taskforces for the sake of it.
The call for a new taskforce was made by Ms Doherty’s party colleague, Dublin North West TD Noel Rock.
But speaking to reporters in Glasnevin on Sunday, Ms Doherty - who grew up close to the murder scene - rejected the proposal.
“I think it’s unfortunate that we have gone back to that stereotypical image. There’s been a huge amount of investment in Ballymun. Actually it has one of the highest reducing unemployment rates in the country at the moment,” the Meath East TD said.
“I think it’s really unfortunate that the gentleman knew obviously he had a warning against his life and the way events transpired. There is a mother of six children dead, there is a young man dead.
"Gangland criminals need to be addressed and I don’t think putting task forces in specific townlands or areas are going to address that. I think more resources into An Garda Siochana.”
Mr Rock last week said the approach taken in relation to Dublin's North Inner City - which has been plagued by gangland violence - should be replicated in Ballymun.
But Ms Doherty says the taskforce in the inner city was about addressing social deprivation and a lack of housing, services sports and youths clubs.
"Ballymun has all of that. And there is a tremendous pride among the people who live there."