Explained: What is the Confidence and Supply deal?
Under the deal, Fianna Fáil agrees to:
- Abstain in the election of Taoiseach, nomination of ministers and also the reshuffling of ministers;
- Facilitate budget votes in the Dáil;
- Vote against or abstain on motions of no confidence in government or ministers;
- Maintain pairing deals for EU Council meetings and other government business.
The Fine Gael-led minority government agrees to:
- Accept that Fianna Fáil remains an independent party in its Opposition capacity;
- Recognise Fianna Fáil's right to bring forward policy proposals and bills;
- Publish all agreements with Independent TDs;
- Allow any Opposition bills to pass second stage and proceed to committee stage within 10 working weeks;
- Implement a series of agreed policy principles such as introducing budgets with a 2:1 split in favour of spending over taxation cuts;
- Have an open approach to avoid policy surprises.