Tanaiste Joan Burton has urged job seekers to take part in a ‘Back To Work’ masterclass and jobs expo that will be attended by some of Ireland’s major employers.
The event, co-sponsored by the Irish Independent, is free and will take place in the RDS on September 29.
“As a country, we have a duty to be more ambitious for our people and we have a duty to provide opportunities, whether that’s work experience, training, or education, so that each person can develop the potential for growth that exists in all,” Ms Burton said.
Tesco, Kepak and Glanbia are among over 40 companies attending the expo, which is part of a nationwide Jobs Week being organised by the Department of Social Protection. The companies will highlight vacancies and provide practical advice to job seekers.
“This event is essentially about senior business people opening their own little black books to nudge other employers and ask them to give a major push in tackling the country’s long-term and youth unemployment scourge once and for all,” Tesco chairman Tony Keohane said.
Last month, the Central Statistics Office put Ireland’s unemployment rate at 11.2pc.
The number of people on the Live Register fell 2,900 to 380,100 in August, once seasonal adjustments were taken into account.
In unadjusted terms. there were 398,325 people on the Register, a decline of 8.5pc from August 2013.