| 12°C Dublin

Police trawl phone records as Catherine Gowing murder accused remanded

POLICE are continuing to trawl through mobile phone records and CCTV footage for clues to the fate of missing Irish vet Catherine Gowing.

Clive Sharp, the man accused of the beautiful 37-year-old's murder, was remanded in custody following a hearing yesterday.

Mr Sharp (46) of Bethesda, Gwynedd, appeared by video link at Caernarfon Crown Court from a remand centre at Liverpool.

In court, the prosecution said that there was a considerable amount of investigation involving CCTV which was being reviewed. Mobile telephones have also been seized and data is being analysed.

The prosecution said that progress was being made on provisional forensic evidence, a development which was welcomed by the judge.

"I'm pleased to hear that," Judge Merfyn Hughes QC said.

The prosecution said papers would be served in eight weeks. No body had been found and inquiries were ongoing.

Catherine Gowing, who worked as a vet at Mold, was last seen on the night of October 12 on CCTV leaving the ASDA supermarket at Queensferry.

Her Renault Clio was found burned out at Alltami, two miles from her home at New Brighton, near Mold.

Dense woodland and a quarry pool are nearby and a massive search has taken place.

During the hearing, her sister Emma sat in court with her husband watching the video link intently.

Mr Sharp spoke only to confirm his name and when asked at the end of the hearing whether he understood what had been said he replied : "Yes, your honour."

Mr Sharp, who is charged with killing her between October 11 and 17, was represented by solicitor Gwyn Jones, who said a QC would be instructed by the defence.

His next appearance will be on January 7 when he will be asked to make a plea to the murder charge.

A trial has been provisionally fixed for April 2 or April 8 and is likely to take two to three weeks.

Before the hearing ended, the judge told Mr Sharp evidence would be served on his solicitors by December 18 and there would then follow a plea and case management hearing at which he could enter his plea.

There was no application for bail.

Det Insp Mark Pierce has appealed for any information about the movements of Mr Sharp's black S40 Volvo, AG58 JHE, between Friday October 12 and the following Monday.

Irish Independent