Saturday 21 April 2018

Police charge man with missing Catherine's murder

Mike Hornby

A MAN was charged tonight with the murder of missing vet Catherine Gowing.

Ms Gowing, 37, has been missing since she failed to arrive at work at the Evans Veterinary Practice in Mold, North Wales, on Monday.

Clive Sharpe, 46, from Bethesda, Gwynedd, will appear before Mold magistrates tomorrow morning, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Speaking at North Wales Police HQ in Colwyn Bay, Karen Dixon, district Crown Prosecutor, said: "The CPS has been in close contact with North Wales Police as their investigation into Catherine Gowing's disappearance has developed.

"We can now confirm that, having carefully carried out a detailed review of the evidence gathered so far, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence to charge Clive Sharpe with the murder of Catherine Gowing and it is in the public interest to do so.

"Accordingly we have authorised North Wales Police to charge the defendant and he will appear before Mold Magistrates tomorrow morning.

"This is an extremely serious criminal charge and the police investigation continues."

Earlier today police revealed they had found Ms Gowing's burned out car in woodland close to a disused quarry and quarry pool.

It was found around Pinfold Lane, Alltami, around two miles from her home in New Brighton, Flintshire.

Detective Superintendent John Hanson, who is leading the investigation for North Wales Police, renewed his appeal for witnesses.

He said anyone who was in and around the area of the disused quarry at any time last weekend should come forward with any information they may have.

He added: "I have already spoken about the extent and scope of the examinations and searches taking place and the resources involved in the search to find Catherine.

"Those searches will continue into this evening and throughout the weekend.

"We will do all that is conceivably possible to find Catherine and return her to her family.

"That remains our priority.

"Catherine's family are still in North Wales and are being supported by family liaison officers.

"They are aware of this significant development and they are fully updated on progress of the investigation.

"It is now time to let the judicial process take its course and time to let the family come to terms with what has happened over the last week.

"I would again ask that you respect their privacy at this very difficult time."

Anyone who can help the inquiry should call North Wales Police on 101, he said.

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News