'Please respect emergency workers doing their job' - Dublin firefighter suffers ear injury after firework is thrown during bonfire incident
A Dublin firefighter has suffered an ear injury after a firework was thrown during an incident yesterday evening.
Dublin Fire Brigade are appealing for a safe Halloween after the male firefighter suffered the injury.
He is part of Dublin Fire Brigade's Blanchardstown unit.
The Dublin Fire Brigade told Independent.ie that the firefighter was attending an illegal bonfire when the incident occured.
"It was a Halloween related bonfire. We want everyone to have a fun & safe Halloween including all the emergency services staff that are working in the run up to 31st Oct. We encourage people to attend safer organised events that are managed by the local authorities and to respect both council & 999 workers as they do their job on the day."
Tweeting this morning, the DFB wrote; "Sadly, one of our B'town firefighters suffered an ear injury at a fire after a firework was thrown. Let's have a safe #Halloween for all."
Their appeal comes as emergency services are inundated with Halloween related calls over the October bank holiday weekend.
The Dublin Society for the Protection of Animals is also pleading with people to stay safe.
They have asked people stacking bonfires this Halloween to leave wood they find by fields alone for fear of endangering horses.
DSPCA Spokeswoman Gillian Bird said owners leave wooden pallets by the edges of fields so their animals don’t escape.
She said: "Pallets stuffed in the hedges are keeping horses in. If it’s taken, the horses are going to escape and run the risk of getting hit by cars. We’ve had cases in the past.
"People who own horses put a huge amount of work into keeping them safe. That’s the big thing we’re pushing. Obviously bonfires are illegal but leave the wood in the bushes alone."
The society also has advice for keeping pets safe. They have asked that;
•Pets pick up on owner’s anxiety so stay calm when fireworks and bangers go off
•The number of strays increases at Halloween so ensure pets are micro-chipped
•If it’s too late to have them chipped, make sure their collar is on at all times
•Keep pets inside at all times when off the leash
The Society has received no reports of animal cruelty over the weekend so far.