THE London terror suspect who lived in Dublin last year has been named by British police.
Scotland Yard named two of the suspects as as Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane.
Independent.ie understands Rachid Redouane lived in Rathmines in south Dublin as recently as the end of 2016.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said Butt was known to the security services, but there was no evidence of "attack planning".
It is believed Redouane was working as a pastry chef while here.
Speaking at an event in Chicago, Taoiseach Enda Kenny said Redouane was not being monitored by gardai while here.
"There are a small number of people in Ireland who are being monitored and observed in respect of radicalisation and matters relevent to that," he told reporters after a talk at the Chicago Council on Global Affairs. "In this case, these facts are being checked but my understanding is this individual was not a member of that small group."
Kenny added that in terms of the Common Travel Area, the agreement will continue.
"On the foot of the EU Treaties, people from outside the EU who have an established relationship with an EU citizen are entitled to visas under that legislation and in this particular case this is a matter that is being checked to establish the veracity or otherwise of this particular situation," he said.
"But the Common Travel Area is one that we expect to be able to hold on to for so many different reasons on a bi-lateral basis with the UK. But clearly all of these things are part and parcel of the phenomenon of terrorist incidents not just in Britain no tragically but in Sweden, in Belgium, and in France and Germany and other locations.
RTÉ reports that a high level meeting between Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan and security and intelligence officers took place in Garda HQ this morning to discuss the development.
On Saturday night three attackers ploughed a rented van into pedestrians on London Bridge before abandoning the van and stabbing a number of people in the area.
Police shot all three – who were wearing fake suicide vests – within eight minutes, expending an 'unprecedented' 50 rounds.
The focus of this morning's meeting in Garda HQ will be to collate all of the information have on the man carrying the Irish ID, and his time spent in Dublin.
It is believed he was of Moroccan origin and was married to a woman from Scotland.
Authorities are liaising with UK police who are leading the terror probe.
Gardai are investigating whether the ID card belonged to the dead man and if the documents are legitimate.
A Garda spokesman this morning said: "An Garda Síochána is providing every assistance to our colleagues in the London Metropolitan Police in relation to the terror attack in London.
"We will process all requests from the UK authorities in relation to enquiries into individuals, identities or any other matter," he added.
The type of identity card found on the man is not yet clear.
It is understood inquiries are continuing into whether he was given an Irish ID card issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau.
The plastic credit card-sized documentation is given to people from outside the EU. It has a person's certificate of registration which states they have permission to stay in Ireland. It must be carried at all times.
There are also inquiries into whether the man had been given paperwork after landing in Ireland to claim asylum or if he had an ID card issued under EU treaties which allowed him to live in Ireland with his family.
It is believed that the man lived in Dublin - possibly in Rathmines - and may have been here as recently as last year. It is understood he had not come to the notice of gardai when he was here.
A Department of Justice spokesman said they do not comment on individual cases.
He added: "The expert threat assessment is that while an attack here is possible it is unlikely and that there is no specific information in relation to any threat to Ireland from international terrorism.
"That said, the level of threat from this source is kept under constant and active review by An Garda Síochána."
The spokesman said that Garda Commissioner Nóirín O'Sullivan makes an assessment based on a range of factors including "current available intelligence, knowledge of capabilities, events outside the State and the current international climate."
She consults with Defence Forces chief of staff Vice Admiral Mark Mellet in making the assessment.
The spokesman said: "Clearly, attacks like the one in London and others that have taken place elsewhere focus attention on any other measures that might be taken to prevent such atrocities.
"The authorities here are taking and will take all necessary and appropriate measures to counteract the threat.
"The Gardaí have in place appropriate operational measures in terms of intelligence, a well-trained and equipped special intervention capability and other national support resources.
"They are supported in this, as needed, by the considerable skills and resources of the Defence Forces."
The spokesman continued: "The Garda Authorities also work very closely with their international counterparts, particularly in Britain and Northern Ireland, in counteracting this threat both in terms of providing support in ongoing investigations and in ongoing mutual co-operation with other international partners."
Seven people died in the London attack and 48 were injured. Of those wounded, 21 are critically injured in hospitals across the English capital.
Here is what we know so far:
* 10.07pm Saturday - Ambulance services are called to reports of a white van ploughing through pedestrians on London Bridge, arriving within six minutes.
* 10.08pm - Police are also called to the scene.
* The white van crashes outside The Barrowboy & Banker pub in Borough High Street, where three men leave the vehicle and apparently run down steps and along Green Dragon Court, heading towards Borough Market where they begin stabbing people in pubs and restaurants.
* Witnesses say three men run into the Black And Blue restaurant in Stoney Street and begin stabbing people indiscriminately, including one person in the face and neck.
* A knifeman also storms the El Pastor restaurant in Stoney Street, forcing diners and staff to take shelter.
* Another man, journalist Geoff Ho, is stabbed at the Southwark Tavern. Witnesses see injured people in the Mudlark pub, while others at the Katzenjammers Bierhall in Southwark Street help a person who has been stabbed.
* Police searching for the knifemen go through bars and restaurants as staff and drinkers hide.
* 10.16pm - Eight minutes after police are called three male suspects are shot dead by marksmen near the Wheatsheaf pub in Stoney Street. Eight officers fire 50 bullets, an "unprecedented number of rounds", the Met's assistant commissioner Mark Rowley says.
* A member of the public is also accidentally shot, and is in hospital with injuries described as "not critical".
* The men are wearing what looked like explosive vests but these are later found to be hoaxes.
* At least 48 patients are taken to five hospitals, London Ambulance Service says, with more than 80 medics having been sent to the scene.
* A British Transport Police officer who took on the three attackers armed with just his baton is stabbed in the head, face and leg as he tries to help members of the public.
* 12.25am on Sunday - Both incidents are declared by the Metropolitan Police as terror attacks.
* Shortly before 4am, police confirm six people are killed in the rampage.
* A third incident at Vauxhall is a stabbing and unrelated, Scotland Yard says.
* Metropolitan Police commissioner Cressida Dick says the number of victims from the London attack has risen to seven. The High Commission of Canada later confirms one of its citizens is among the dead.
* After chairing a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergency committee, at 10.35am British Prime Minister Theresa May says the UK is experiencing a "new trend in the threat we face as terrorism breeds terrorism" as she condemns the terror attacks.
* On Sunday morning police carry out raids in Barking, east London, where it is thought one of the attackers lived. Officers make 12 arrests in the area and a neighbour who knew one of the attackers says he had asked him how to hire a van.
* 2pm - Armed police descend on a flat in East Ham, where witnesses say they apprehend two suspects. Residents see one man jump out of a first floor window and run along the top of a rank of shops before being dragged through a window by officers.
* 4.30pm - Mr Rowley confirms that 36 people remain in hospital with 21 in a critical condition. He warns of more armed police in the capital in coming days, and says "increased physical measures" will be brought in to keep people safe on London's bridges.
* 7.50pm - French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian confirms a French citizen was killed in the attack and seven were taken to hospital, of which four are in a serious condition.
* 10pm - Scotland Yard says seven women aged between 19 and 60 are among those arrested at an address in Barking under the Terrorism Act, while five men aged 27 to 55 are also detained. One 55-year-old man is released without charge.
* 10:30pm - The first victim of the attack is named as Canadian national Christine Archibald, who worked in a homeless shelter until she moved to Europe to be with her fiance. Her family said in a statement: "We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected.
"She lived this belief, working in a shelter for the homeless until she moved to Europe to be with her fiance.
"She would have had no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death."
* 10.45pm - The head of the SITE intelligence group says the Islamic State terror group has claimed responsibility for the London attacks.
* 12.18am on Monday - Australian foreign minister Julie Bishop says three Australian citizens were injured in the attacks.
* 5am - Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull says the number of Australian victims has increased to four, adding the Government had "very real concerns" about two of its citizens.
* Monday 4.15am - Officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command enter two addresses in Newham and Barking and a "number of people" are detained.
A Canadian woman killed in the London terror attack would have had "no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death", her family said as they paid tribute to her.