Saturday 24 February 2018

Pensioner (84) perishes at home in accidental blaze

NEIGHBOURS were beaten back by flames as they tried to rescue an 84-year-old pensioner trapped inside his blazing home.

The fire in the bungalow in Churchfield, Cork, which claimed the life of John Cooke (84), is being treated by gardai as a tragic accident.

Mr Cooke was rescued by members of Cork Fire Brigade on Tuesday night but he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

The fire was first detected by neighbours who spotted smoke billowing from the door and windows of the pensioner's home at 10.45pm.

Mr Cooke had been in the Churchfield area for almost four decades and his son lived with him in the house.

However, the man -- who is in his mid-40s -- was away when the tragic fire ignited.

Mr Cooke's wife died a number of years ago.

Locals described him as a wonderful neighbour who took enormous pride in his garden as well as the local community.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News