Pensioner (69) killed in blaze a 'true gentleman'
A PENSIONER killed in a house fire was "one of life's true gentlemen", friends have said.
Terry McDermott, a farm labourer, died when fire swept through his rural cottage.
Gardai believe the fire at the house in Glenkeo, Co Donegal, started accidentally in a kitchen.
The alarm was raised when a passing motorist spotted flames coming through the roof of the single-storey home late on Wednesday night.
Mr McDermott (69), who lived alone, was found dead inside the house after fire crews tackled the blaze.
Local councillor Ciaran Brogan said: "Terry was one of life's true gentlemen."
"He was just a good, decent man and the community here is in a state of shock at his death."