News Irish News

Saturday 25 November 2017

Pedestrian killed while walking on three-lane road

Body also recovered from sea in car

Edel O'Connell

GARDAI were last night investigating how a pedestrian was killed while walking on a three-lane road on Christmas morning.The man died after the collision, which happened at 1.20am on Saturday at the N11 at Coyne's Cross, near Ashford, Co Wicklow.

It is understood the man had been walking on the southbound lane of the N11 in freezing conditions with poor visibility when the accident occurred.

The driver of a black Fiat Diablo van is said to have reported the incident a short time later. Gardai immediately made their way to the scene and discovered a body.


A 21-year-old man was later arrested under road traffic legislation and brought to Gorey garda station, but was subsequently released.

It is understood he will make a full statement to the gardai and a file will then be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The gardai said alcohol was not a factor in the incident.

The road was littered with debris afterwards. Gardai closed the southbound lane of the N11 dual-carriageway to traffic while collision investigators carried out an examination of the accident scene on Christmas Day.

The road remained closed for several hours and traffic was diverted on to secondary roads.

A garda source said the dead man was from Bray, Co Wicklow. He was the 209th person to die on Irish roads this year.

Meanwhile, the body of a 47-year-old man was recovered from the water in Kilmore Quay, Co Wexford, on Christmas Day following an intensive search.

Dublin Coastguard was contacted shortly after 11am on Christmas morning to help the gardai in a search for a missing person in Co Wexford.

A Waterford rescue helicopter then located a VW Passat on the seabed off the pier at Kilmore Quay.

The Kilmore Quay lifeboat, with the help of a local diver, searched the car and recovered a body from it.

The body was taken aboard the lifeboat and brought ashore.

It is understood the man's car went into the water at around 8.30pm on Christmas Eve and was removed from the water at 1.15pm on Christmas Day.

Gardai are not treating it as suspicious.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News