Sunday 18 February 2018

Parents told to lock up dangerous products

Eilish O'Regan Health Correspondent

PARENTS are being warned to lock up household cleaning products, as these were the most common products accidentally swallowed by very young children last year.

None of the children involved died, but parents were told to keep these products out of reach if they have children under 10 years of age.

The dangerous household products included bleach, dishwasher powder, disinfectant and toilet cleaner, according to the annual report of the National Poisons Information Centre in Beaumont Hospital.

The centre, which deals with inquiries from doctors and members of the public, received 9,685 inquiries regarding the poisoning of adults, children and animals during the year.

It followed up on 361 cases, and while most patients recovered completely, the centre confirmed that 24 suffered complications and 12 had died.

More than half the human cases were suspected accidental poisonings -- but one in four was deliberate or due to recreational drug use.

However, most of the fatalities known to the centre involved deliberate self-poisoning or drug and substance abuse.

And more than one in 10 involved therapeutic errors by health staff.

Paracetamol is the most common drug in suspected poisonings followed by anti-inflammatory ibuprofen.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News