Owner mystified as blaze destroys well-known pub
THE owner of a well-known pub gutted by fire early yesterday has said he is unsure of its exact cause.
Eamonn McCormack, proprietor of the Merrion Inn on south Dublin's Merrion Road, said that the blaze began at a back section of the establishment where bins are stored but was unsure of exactly how it started.
Five units of Dublin Fire Brigade fought the blaze which broke out at around 4am yesterday and is thought to have started in a box compactor.
It led to extensive fire damage on the first floor of the two-storey building after spreading from a back kitchen area.
The ground floor suffered substantial water damage.
Mr McCormack, whose family has run the popular establishment for the last 21 years, said he was alerted to the fire after the alarm went off.
"I got a call at 4am from our security company saying the alarm was going off," he said outside the premises yesterday.
"I came down just as the fire brigade were about to break the windows and I let them in."
The blaze took place next door to a petrol station although it is understood that there was no threat of it spreading towards fuel supplies.