Sunday 25 February 2018

Omagh bomb families seek meeting with Taoiseach

Families who lost loved ones in the Omagh bombing have urged the State to finally give them an answer on their calls for a public inquiry
Families who lost loved ones in the Omagh bombing have urged the State to finally give them an answer on their calls for a public inquiry
Caroline Crawford

Caroline Crawford

Families who lost loved ones in the Omagh bombing have urged the State to finally give them an answer on their calls for a public inquiry.

Michael Gallagher of the Omagh Support and Self Help Group said it had been told by former justice minister Alan Shatter that a review of the matter was almost complete last May but had heard nothing since then.

"What we want is a cross-border public inquiry. We want to brief the new Justice Minister and the Taoiseach on this. We feel it's that important," he added.

A spokesperson for the Department of Justice said detailed consideration of matters raised relating to the State and Gardai was being finalised when an arrest was made in the case in April 2014. Following this development, the review was postponed until the completion of the case.

"Minister Fitzgerald understands fully that the Omagh Group wishes to receive a response to its concerns and she is keen to ensure that will take place as soon as circumstances permit," it added.

Mr Gallagher said his group would write to the Taoiseach's department in the coming days seeking a date for the meeting, adding: "We want to make sure it goes ahead this time. We're hoping for early September."

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News