Wednesday 25 April 2018

Nurse on trial accused of assaulting six people after birthday party

Nicola Donnelly

A psychiatric nurse has gone on trial accused of stabbing and assaulting six people after an 18th birthday party in Tallaght two years ago.

Brian Quinn (46) previously of Deer Park Avenue, Kiltipper in Tallaght, now living in Balbriggan, has pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to intentionally or recklessly causing serious harm to James Toner Senior, Stephen Keogh and Lee Harte on October 9, 2011 at Deer Park Avenue.

He further pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm to Kurtis Lennon, James Toner Junior and Robert Ryan. He also pleaded not  guilty to the production of a knife.

Mr Harte (20) of Donaghmore Park in Tallaght, told prosecuting counsel Paul Carroll BL, he was stabbed in the left leg, stomach and liver by Mr Quinn in the accused’s house after an incident earlier outside the homes of Mr Toner and Mr Quinn.

He said he was attending his friend Mr Toner's 18th birthday party and at around 2am he left with his cousin Mr Ryan.

He said while he and Mr Ryan were leaving Mr Toner's house, he saw Mr Quinn and his partner standing outside their house with two glasses filled with water.

He claimed Mr Quinn’s girlfriend started screaming 'I'm sick of ye scumbags, tomorrow morning you will all be burnt out'.

“I told Gabrielle the party was over and that she shouldn't complain but she was highly angry,” said Mr Harte.

“I told Mr Quinn to bring Gabrielle inside as she was angry and he said 'I know,' but the woman kept shouting 'scumbags’.”

He claimed Mr Quinn then grabbed him and he fell half way into Mr Quinn's house.

He said his cousin Robert walked into Mr Quinn's house and Mr Quinn and Robert “started hitting each other.”

“I seen a knife in Mr Quinn's hand. I pushed him and he fell onto the stairs and I screamed at Robert that he shouldn't have walked into the house,” said Mr Harte.

He said Robert left the house and Mr Quinn stabbed him in the leg.

“I tried to leave but there was blood all over my hands and Mr Quinn was standing behind me. I managed to get out,” he said.

He said when he got out of the house Gabrielle was in the front garden of Mr Toner's house with a baton in her hand.

“She kept calling me a scumbag saying it was all my fault and I asked her to leave me alone,” said Mr Harte.

He said girls in Mr Toner's house who were at the party helped him inside.

Defence counsel Giollaíosa Ó Lideadha SC, put it to Mr Harte that he and his friends had “invaded Mr Quinn's house and put him and his partner Gabrielle in fear of immediate death with violence and that anything Mr Quinn did was to protect himself.”

“No, he dragged me into his house. He knew what he was doing,” said Mr Harte.

He claimed the only time he hit Mr Quinn was when “he had a knife in my stomach.” He also denied that Mr Quinn was hit on the head with a baseball bat.

The trial continues before Judge Carmel Stewart and a jury of nine men and three women.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News