Thursday 12 December 2019

Two hunted after knife attack on grandmother Bridie (72)

Victim Bridie Smith (72)
Victim Bridie Smith (72)

Gardai are continuing to hunt for two men they suspect of stabbing a pensioner on her front doorstep.

Bridie Smith (72) was attacked in broad daylight at her home in Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot, on New Year's Day.

It is believed she was stabbed between 9.30am and 10am.

Mrs Smith suffered a number of knife wounds to the chest and was taken to St James's Hospital where she remains in a critical condition.

A garda forensics officer at the house in Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot, where Bridie Smith was stabbed
A garda forensics officer at the house in Oranmore Road, Ballyfermot, where Bridie Smith was stabbed

One theory being investigated is that the attack was linked to a dispute between two families in the area.


One of Ms Smith's sons, Andrew (32), was jailed in 2015 for two-and-a-half years for assaulting one of her neighbours, a 72-year-old great-grandmother who was left with serious facial injuries.

Another son, Stephen, was shot in an unrelated incident in February.

Detectives from Ballyfermot Garda Station are investigating the attack on Mrs Smith and are appealing for anyone with information to contact them.

No arrests have yet been made, but gardai are looking for two men who were seen fleeing the area following the stabbing.

Members of the Armed Support Unit (ASU) kept watch at the scene after the attack.

Mrs Smith's home was sealed off as a garda forensic team carried out an examination.

Residents of the Oranmore Road area expressed sadness at the stabbing of their neighbour.

"I'm terribly shocked," said a 38-year-old mother-of-five.

"The guards came to my door asking if I saw anything, but I hadn't.

"I'm just hoping she'll make a full recovery. She was the same age as my mam. It's terrible."

Local man Seamus Pender (59) said: "We heard that one of her sons may have been in bed at home when she was attacked.

"We're all very shocked. The family have been living here for a long time.

"The first I heard about it was when the guards came to the door asking if anyone had seen anything."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News