Saturday 16 December 2017

Two hospitalised after tent blaze at Electric Picnic

Jason Kennedy & Louise Kelly

A woman and a man, both aged in their late 30s, suffered burn injuries when the tent that they were in caught on fire.

Gardai responded to the scene at the ‘Pink Moon’ camping site at the Electric Picnic festival at Stradbally at approximately 5am this morning.

Emergency services brought both burn victims from the Laois site to Midland Regional Hospital in Mullingar.

The woman – who reportedly suffered burns to her hands and face – was later transferred to St James's Hospital in Dublin.

The man involved has since been released from hospital after being treated for non-life threatening injuries. 

A number of eye witnesses reported that a lit candle started the blaze that destroyed the tent “in minutes”.

“The tent was gone within five minutes,” according to one reveller at the scene.

“People were screaming for a knife. We heard a couple of pops like fireworks. I'd say they were aerosol cans. I didn't see her (the woman). There was around 15 people standing around the tent afterwards.”

A spokesperson for the three day music event said confirmed that "two young people returned to their tents" and "lit a number of candles before falling asleep, which caused the young lady’s sleeping bag to catch alight". 

"Security responded immediately. One of the individuals was brought to St James’ Hospital in Dublin where she is currently being treated for minor burns."

The scene has since been preserved for technical examination.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News