Sunday 17 December 2017

Two dead and one fighting for life in separate fires

The scene of the fire at Sigurd Road last night
The scene of the fire at Sigurd Road last night

Conor Feehan and Sam Griffin

A man has died and a woman is fighting for her life after a fire broke out at house in Stoneybatter, near the city centre.

The man was named locally as Christy Kelly (62), who originally came from nearby Chicken Lane.

He was described by locals as a live-in carer for Mary O'Brien (90) on Sigurd Road, off Manor Street, who was in a critical condition last night.

The alarm was raised just before 6.30pm when a relative of Mary's drove to the house from Newbridge after the elderly woman activated her Medi Alert alarm.

Sources said she didn't realise how serious the situation was until she got to the house and saw smoke damage.

Five units of Dublin Fire Brigade responded to her alert and took the two occupants of the house outside where paramedics fought to save them.

Mr Kelly was then taken to the Mater Hospital but was pronounced dead.

A Dublin Fire Brigade spokesperson said Ms O'Brien was revived at the scene and rushed to James Connolly Hospital in Blanchardstown where she is in a critical condition and fighting for her life.

Units from Phibsboro fire station responded to a call shortly before 6.30pm.

Locals said Christy cared for Mary and often would be seen taking her to the shops.


"She has been living here since she was a child, it's an awful tragedy," said local shopkeeper Maureen McGuinness.

Neighbours said Mr Kelly had grown up on a street known locally as Chicken Lane - or Arbour Place.

His parents had died and the house was sold for development, and Christy was believed to have been Mary's carer, living in her home for many years.

An examination will take place today to discover the cause of the fire, but it is not thought to have been suspicious in nature.

Meanwhile, earlier in the day in Co Kilkenny, a 92-year-old man died after a fire broke out in his home near Castlecomer.

The man was named locally as Tom Condren, a retired farmer who had lived in the house all his life. The alarm was raised around midday when Mr Condren's home carer called to the house in the townland of Uskerty.

A fire had broken out and it is believed the victim suffered smoke inhalation.

Local councillor Pat Fitzpatrick said Mr Condren was "well-known and highly regarded".

"He was quiet but very pleasant and a lovely man who did what he could for neighbours and friends. The whole community is shocked and deeply saddened by Tom's tragic passing," he said last night.

Gardaí are investigating but are not treating the death as suspicious.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News