Tuesday 21 November 2017

Two dead after road accidents over the weekend

Two people have been killed in another tragic weekend on the nation's roads
Two people have been killed in another tragic weekend on the nation's roads
Adam Cullen

Adam Cullen

Two people have been killed in another tragic weekend on the nation's roads.

A 36-year-old man was pronounced dead after a horror collision with a minibus in Co Longford.

Up to 14 children were on the coach when the smash between the car and the minibus took place shortly after 11pm on Saturday night.

The incident occurred on the N4, the main Dublin to Longford Road, at Corboy, Edgeworthstown.

The teenagers, who were from Cavan, had been attending the Hype youth festival in Longford town.

A number of ambulances attended the scene to treat the passengers of the minibus.

Last night, one of the event organisers, Foroige, confirmed that none of the youths were injured but said they had been left badly shaken by the incident.

A spokesperson said support would be offered to the children following the event.

"This could be a traumatic incident for them, but as always with Foroige, there will be supports in place. Thankfully, none of the children or volunteers were hurt.

"A full review of the incident will take place on Monday."


The body of the fatally injured man, believed to be a non-national, was taken to the morgue at Mullingar Hospital. The driver of the minibus was also taken to Mullingar Hospital where his injuries were described as non-life threatening.

The road was closed for a time to facilitate a Forensic Collision Examination.

Local councillor Luie McEntire said the incident was a tragic event for the community. "Our thoughts and prayers are with this man's family. It was a tragic death for such a young man."

In a separate incident, a man died after falling from his bike in Co Cork.

It is understood the individual was cycling with a group of colleagues when he fell and struck the ground.

The incident occurred on the Castletownbere to Ardgroom Road on Saturday afternoon shortly after 4.40pm.

The man's friends administered CPR until a local doctor attended the scene.

The doctor pronounced the man dead a short time later and his body was taken to Cork University Hospital where a post mortem was later carried out.

No one else was reported injured in the incident. The road was closed to facilitate a Garda Forensic Collision examination and later reopened.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News