Monday 18 June 2018

Twenty calves die of lead poisoning after used car battery is dumped in field

Cattle (stock photo)
Cattle (stock photo)

Cormac Fitzgerald

A total of 20 calves have died of lead poisoning after a car battery was discarded in a field in Co Kerry.

Gardaí are investigating the deaths, which occurred on a rural farm in Tarbert in North Kerry.

The incident was reported last Sunday when a local farmer told gardaí that 14 calves had died on his farm. Since then, a further six calves have died, bringing the total now to 20.

The estimated cost of the loss to the farmer is €10,000.

Gardaí confirmed that a discarded car battery was found in the field and, they believe that the battery was the source of the poisoning.

They have taken away the battery for forensic examination.

Gardaí are appealing to the public for anyone with information to come forward, particularly if anyone was seen acting suspiciously in the area between Wednesday and Sunday of last week.

Anyone with any information is asked to contact gardai in Listowel on 068 21000 or the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News