Wednesday 21 February 2018

Tributes after young GAA player dies of asthma attack

Tragic death: Jack Whyte
Tragic death: Jack Whyte

Cate McCurry

Tributes have been paid to a schoolboy who died suddenly from an asthma attack.

Staff and pupils at St Patrick's College in north Belfast offered their condolences on the sudden death of Jack Whyte, who was a student at the school on the Antrim Road.

News of his tragic death yesterday morning was announced in an online statement from Jack's school.

Headteacher Paula Stewart said: "It was with much shock and disbelief that we learned this morning that Jack Whyte, a student in our school, had died suddenly from an asthma attack.

"Jack was such a popular student and everyone at St Patrick's College is devastated and very saddened by this news.

"Jack was a bright, outgoing student, kind and caring. He was a pleasure to teach. A 'star' in our eyes. He was involved in many aspects of college life - drama, music and the student council - and he always had a smile for everyone he met.

"He will be greatly missed and remembered fondly by everyone who knew him. It will take us some time as a school community to come to terms with this. Our thoughts and prayers are with Jack's family and friends at this very sad time in their lives. Rest in peace Jack."

A keen gaelic player who enjoyed drama productions, earning him the nickname 'Broadway', friends said Jack was "always smiling" and a "gentle soul."

Pupils at the school are being offered counselling and support.

Belfast Telegraph

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News