Transdev confirm there will be no Luas service this weekend
There will be no Luas service this weekend due to strike action - operating company Transdev has confirmed.
In a statement today Nigel Stevens, CEO, Transdev U.K. and Ireland said: “I am deeply disappointed at the situation that we are currently facing and in particular we are acutely concerned for all of our customers who have been impacted by this dispute.”
There will be no Luas service this Saturday, April 2 and Sunday, April 3.
He continued: “Transdev is extremely proud of what has been achieved in partnership with Ireland’s transport authorities since the opening of Luas in 2004. Transdev is 100% committed to the fulfilment of the current contract up to 2019 and hopes that its role in the Irish market can extend long beyond this.”
He said the company is prepared to conclude a fair and balanced agreement that is fully in line with current norms in the Private and Public Sector with essential cost offsetting measures. In a statement from Transdev Mr Stevens said: “Unfortunately the current demands of staff go way beyond this are totally unaffordable and will not be countenanced.
“I have written today to all staff. I have asked them to engage constructively with the local management team and conclude an agreement that is within the limits of current available resources.”
The National Transport Authority today welcomed Transdev’s statement of commitment to fulfilling its current 2014-2019 contract for the provision of Luas services.
Anne Graham, CEO of the National Transport Authority said: “The Authority, too, is firmly committed to this contract, which extends to 2019.
"Luas operations, under Transdev (previously “Veolia”) from the outset, have run extremely well, until the recent industrial relations disruptions. This weekend’s strikes will only add further inconvenience to the strong customer base that Luas has built up over the years."