Sunday 21 January 2018

Timeline: A quiet evening at home for unsuspecting family was turned into a horrifying 12-hour ordeal

The house on Gracefield Road, Artane, from where the woman and her daughter were abducted
The house on Gracefield Road, Artane, from where the woman and her daughter were abducted
Adam Cullen

Adam Cullen

On a dark, wet Wednesday evening at least three masked men invaded a family's quite Dublin home.

Inside the modest terraced house on Gracefield Road, Artane, a couple in their 50s and their adult daughter settled in for the evening.

Little did they know that, on an unsuspecting mid-week night, their lives would be turned upside down.

At 8pm the three thugs burst into their family home.

It was to be the beginning of a terrifying 12-hour ordeal that would see them held at gunpoint until the early hours of Thursday morning.

The terrifying trio who entered the house are believed to have had Dublin accents and wore ski masks and gloves.

At least one was armed with a handgun.

About 5am the two women were pulled from their home, tied up and bound, and thrown into the back of a 2009 white Volkswagen Caddy van.

They were driven around for hours while the man was ordered to attend his job as normal at cash-in-transit company GSLS.

He was instructed to do his usual airport run and then hand over a large sum of cash to the assailants near the Corballis Business Park in the grounds of Dublin Airport.

He was told to place €225,000 in cash into the back of a white box van. When he did that, the van sped off.

After making the exchange at 8.30am he was told to retrieve a larger sum of money and to return it to them at another location. However, at approximately 8.32am, he managed to raise the alarm with his co-workers.

Emergency teams sprang into action and a number of armed gardaí attended the scene.

The man's terrified partner and her daughter were later discovered 25km away in the Chestnut Grove estate in Dunboyne, Co Meath, at around 9.10am - when a passer-by heard screams coming from the back of the Caddy van and called for help.

Gardaí discovered them still bound and in a distressed state.

The family's horror ordeal had finally come to an end.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News