Saturday 24 March 2018

Three people lose their lives following road carnage - two people seriously injured

Gardai are investigating a road crash in which a man was seriously injured in Creagh, Ballinasloe, Co Galway. Photo: Hany Marzouk
Gardai are investigating a road crash in which a man was seriously injured in Creagh, Ballinasloe, Co Galway. Photo: Hany Marzouk

Wayne O'Connor, Elaine Keogh and Kathryn Hayes

GARDAI are investigating a number of road accidents over the weekend that left two people dead and several others seriously injured.

And a third person has died from injuries he sustained in a crash over the August Bank Holiday weekend.

A 61-year-old man died after the van he was travelling in crashed after hitting a ditch in Co Kildare.

Paddy Casey was travelling alone between Athy and Kildangan when the accident occurred at 9.30pm on Friday night.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Local Sinn Féin Councillor Thomas Redmond said he was concerned after a number of accidents occurred on the same stretch of road in recent years.

“There is a three-mile stretch outside Athy where there have been too many deaths in recent years,” he said.

“It’s a straight length of road but, because it is quite boggy land, there are too many dangerous dips and bumps along that stretch,” he added.

“My condolences go out to Mr Casey and his family but it is very concerning that there are so many accidents along here.”

In Galway, a 43-year-old cyclist died on Saturday evening.

Kevin Smith died in University Hospital Galway after he was involved in a collision with a car last Thursday.

Meanwhile locals in Co Longford said five people involved in a crash in Ballyminion yesterday morning were lucky to come away with their lives.

One 19-year-old passenger was seriously injured and four other occupants escaped unharmed after the accident on the Ferefad to Ballymacormack road.

Local resident Brendan Kearney said the accident happened right outside his house.

“They were very lucky because there is a pier and a wall right near where they hit a ditch,” he said.

“If they had hit that wall it could have been far more serious,” he added.

Gardai sealed off the road for some time for a forensic examination but it was reopened yesterday afternoon.

Another 61-year old man was seriously injured after a two-car accident in Galway on Friday night.

The collision occurred at approximately 9pm on the Ballinasloe to Athlone Road at Kilgarve.

The 21-year-old occupant of the second car was uninjured.

Separately, a 21-year-old man who was seriously injured in a car crash in Co Limerick over the August bank holiday weekend lost his fight for life.

The deceased, named locally as Liam O'Shaughnessy, was one of three men hospitalised when the car they were travelling in left the road at Ballycasey near Kildimo Co Limerick  on the N69 around 3am on August 3rd last.

No other car was involved in the incident.

Mr O'Shaughnessy sustained significant head injuries and was transferred from University Hospital Limerick to Cork University Hospital for treatment, hours after the crash.

The other two men were treated for less serious injuries at University Hospital Limerick.

Irish Independent

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News