Tuesday 17 July 2018

Terrifying armed robbery of city shop caught on CCTV shows raiders armed with knives storming shop

Ken Foy, Crime Correspondent

Gardai are hunting for two masked knifemen who stormed a Dublin shop and threatened staff before escaping with a substantial amount of cash.

Our exclusive CCTV images show the terrifying moment the raiders entered Kennedy's Centra in Stepaside village at around 10.25pm on Thursday.

It is just the latest in a series of shocking armed robberies of shops in south Dublin in recent months.

The pair walked into the shop wearing balaclavas and brandishing knives and threatened the two male staff members behind the counter.

Raider enters shop carrying a knife
Raider enters shop carrying a knife

They demanded cash from the tills and the keys of the safe in an ordeal that lasted for around 50 seconds. They ordered staff to empty the contents of two cash registers into two bags, but did not get at the safe before they fled.

It is believed that the incident could have been far worse except for the fact that a customer who pulled up outside the shop noticed that something was going on.

This quick-thinking person then sounded their car horn, which is understood to have spooked the raiders.

The pair, who spoke with Dublin accents, ran from the shop to dark-coloured VW Passat and drove off.

Dundrum gardai, who are investigating the armed robbery, responded to the incident in less than five minutes.


No arrests have been made so far.

The closure of Stepaside Garda Station in 2013 has been blamed by many locals for the massive increase in crime in the area in recent years.

The closure of the station, along with 138 others across the country, was signed off by then Justice Minister Alan Shatter.

Another station in the division, Cabinteely Garda Station is only open between 7am and 9pm each day.

The armed robbery in the Stepaside Centra happened only four days after different armed criminals robbed the Centra store in nearby Cabinteely.

Gardai are investigating whether two cars were used in that armed robbery - one as a getaway vehicle and the other as a "spotter" - by the thug, who stormed the shop armed with a gun. They are also investigating whether this is the third occasion that he has struck in south Dublin this year.

The criminal, who is believed to be in his mid-20s, pulled a handgun from a shopping bag when he entered the shop and walked "calmly to the till area" where two young male staff members were working.

"He was waving his gun in the air and he started shouting 'Give me the f***ing money, give me the tills' when he entered the shop," store owner Bobby O'Reilly told the Herald.

The criminal made off with the contents of the tills after the incident, which lasted for around 40 seconds.

There have been no arrests in that case.

Yesterday, the Herald revealed that a shocking six burglaries happened every single day last year in an area of south Dublin that is policed by five Garda stations.


Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News