| 7.9°C Dublin

Son of trainer Michael 'Mouse' Morris dies of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday


A nephew of former RTE presenter Thelma Mansfield has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Argentina.

Christopher Morris (30) died on Monday night alongside another man in an apartment in the city of Las Heras.


He is the son of legendary Tipperary horse trainer Michael ‘Mouse’ Morris.

The town of Fethard in Tipperary, where Christopher is from, has been left in sadness as news filtered through.

Former Live at Three presenter Thelma Mansfield is Christopher’s aunt through marriage. Ms Mansfield last month attended the funeral of her former co-host Derek Davis.

Christopher was staying in a house in Las Heras, a city in the province of Mendoza, with a friend when the tragedy occurred.


Las Heras, Argentina

Las Heras, Argentina

Las Heras, Argentina

The second man, aged (37), also died in the poisoning tragedy.

Michael ‘Mouse’ Morris, a prominent figure in Irish National Hunt racing for over 30 years, today paid tribute to Christopher.

“He was doing what he was happy doing, travelling the world and seeing different places,” Mr Morris told the Herald.

“It’s awful news and everybody is being very good and giving us support,” he added.

Daily Digest Newsletter

Get ahead of the day with the morning headlines at 7.30am and Fionnán Sheahan's exclusive take on the day's news every afternoon, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“Christopher had been in Argentina around two months but he had no intention of coming home yet, he was having a ball of a time,” the father explained.

“He was a chef by trade and played music too, he was a percussionist,” he added.

The Morris family are now awaiting his body being repatriated to Ireland after it is released. The Department of Foreign Affairs are providing consular assistance.

Local media reported that the two men were found dead inside an apartment in Las Heras and an investigation was launched to determine if they died by inhaling carbon monoxide.

According to Gustavo Garis, head of the district of Las Heras, “a neighbour called 911 because he noticed water coming out below the door of the apartment.”

“The neighbour knocked on the door but the men did not respond to calls,” he added.

Police entered the home and found the other gentleman in the bath.

Christopher Morris was found lying on a bed. The case is now in the hands of the Prosecutor’s Office of Las Heras.

Most Watched