Thursday 22 February 2018

Sleep rapist released a day early so he could 'catch a flight to Norway'

Magnus Meyer Hustveit and inset Niamh Ni Dhomhnail
Magnus Meyer Hustveit and inset Niamh Ni Dhomhnail Newsdesk Newsdesk

A man jailed for raping his then-girlfriend while she slept was released from prison a day early so he could fly home to his native Norway.

Magnus Meyer Hustveit was jailed for 15 months after a judge originally suspended a seven-year sentence.

With remission he was due to be released on Saturday. However the Sunday World is reporting that he was freed "under cover of darkness" early on Friday morning.

His victim Niamh Ni Dhomhnail told the newspaper that this was the latest example of her rapist being treated as the "victim".

"This is not okay," she said. "When you consider that my case is part of just one per cent of the rape cases in Ireland that are actually prosecuted and then look at how this was handled it completely sends the wrong message."

She continued: "It's beyond disappointing and I do want to know on what gorunds he is being treated so differently. What they [authorities] have done is not normal and it is not okay."

Niamh Ni Dhomhnaill on the Ray D'Arcy programme on RTE One tonight
Pic: RTE
Niamh Ni Dhomhnaill on the Ray D'Arcy programme on RTE One tonight Pic: RTE

Hustveit was freed from Arbour Hill prison in Dublin's North Inner city at 7am on Friday.

The rapist's girlfriend Carina Marie Rose - who stood by him throughout his trial - travelled from Oslo on Thursday to meet him.

A source told "This man's sentence finished on Saturday but the Prison Service does not generally release people on weekends as as there are no services available.

"Another factor was that there are no flights to Oslo in Norway on Saturdays. It is believed that Hustveit intended to fly directly to Oslo once he was released."

Hustveit pleaded guilty at the Central Criminal Court to one count of rape and one count of sexual assault committed against his 28-year-old girlfriend between 2011 and 2012.

He was given a wholly suspended seven year sentence by Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy on July 13, 2015.

However this was overturned on appeal last March at the Court of Appeal.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News