Sunday 22 September 2019

RTE investigating rogue tweet sent to man who has made allegations against Al Porter

Jason Kennedy

RTE have apologised after a 'gif 'reading 'deal with it' was sent from its RTE One account to a man who has accused comedian Al Porter of sexual misconduct.

The since-deleted tweet was directed to a man who recently came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Mr Porter.

RTE One has apologised directly to the individual.

In a brief statement issued to Independent.ie, RTE said they have deleted the tweet and are investigating the matter.

Following recent claims of inappropriate behaviour, Mr Porter has stepped aside from his Olympia panto role, as well as his lunchtime slot on Today FM.

In a statement issued yesterday, Mr Porter, a Tallaght native, said he was "completely taken aback" by the claims.

Al Porter has resigned from Today FM
Al Porter has resigned from Today FM

"While my conduct, which had been in keeping with my flamboyant and outrageous public persona may be regarded as offensive and unacceptable by many people, I at no time intended to upset anyone.

"Up until now, I had been unaware of these complaints or the impact of my conduct and I am truly sorry for any distress I may have caused in what I had regarded as light-hearted and good-natured circumstances."

Meanwhile, Broadcaster Muireann O'Connell filled in for Al Porter today and will host the lunchtime slot for the rest of the week, while the Olympia Panto has yet to announce a replacement actor.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News