News Irish News

Tuesday 20 March 2018

'Report absolutely did not clear anything' - Brazil prosecutor says he will pursue Pat Hickey

Pat Hickey. Photo: Justin Farrelly
Pat Hickey. Photo: Justin Farrelly
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

The Brazilian prosecutor taking the case against Pat Hickey has insisted the Moran report does not clear the former Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) president.

Rio de Janeiro prosecutor Marcus Kac revealed he is "evaluating" a report published last week into the affair by Judge Carroll Moran.

He said he cannot say if he would use the report in an upcoming trial.

"I think things are clear in the process," Mr Kac told Around the Rings. "The culpability of the accused is perennial in the process."

Mr Kac says preparations for a trial remain ongoing, and doubted Mr Hickey's claims that the report would clear his name in Brazil.

“It absolutely did not clear anything," Kac said of the report.

Mr Hickey was arrested during the Rio Olympics in August 2016 and later charged with ticket touting, forming a cartel and illegal marketing at the Games.

Last week Judge Moran's report raised several questions over the OCI's ticketing arrangement.

The report found that Pro10 provided an inadequate service as an Authorised Ticket Reseller (ATR) to such an extent that it was unfit for purpose. It went on to say that it appeared that Pro10 was not a genuine ATR but its involvement disguised the continuing role of THG and Marcus Evans as the real or de facto ATR.

Judge Moran went on to say that Pat Hickey and THG boss Marcus Evans had a "concealed relationship" which was of mutual benefit to both the OCI and THG.

A large section of the report was devoted to how Mr Hickey, the IOC, and Rio 2016 did not contribute to the investigation. All parties said that their refusal to cooperate was made upon advice from lawyers, citing the ongoing trial in Brazil.

In a statement Mr Hickey said there were significant inaccuracies in the Moran report but added that it cleared him of wrong-doing.

"I am pleased to see my reputation and good name have been cleared in that there is no allegation of criminality or financial impropriety."

However Mr Kac told the Mail on Sunday at the weekend that he would pursue the case and send an alert to Interpol if Mr Hickey fails to show for his trial.

"He [Mr Hickey] said he would go for the court hearing. The compromise [when he was granted permission to leave Brazil after €410,000 bond was paid] was he would come [back].

"We think the hearing will be in six to 12 months. There will be no jury. A judge will make the decision. If he is found guilty I will ask for him to get 10 to 20 years in prison."

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News