Saturday 21 April 2018

Predator arrested for false imprisonment of a woman

Philip Murphy leaving Arbour Hill prison after he was released
Philip Murphy leaving Arbour Hill prison after he was released
Cathal McMahon

Cathal McMahon

A predator released from prison just a month ago has been arrested by gardaí investigating the false imprisonment of a woman.

Philip Murphy (35), who was sentenced to 10 years in prison for kidnapping a woman in 2009, is being questioned over an attack earlier this month.

He was arrested this morning at an address on Gardiner Street in Dublin’s North Inner city and is currently being questioned by detectives at Store Street station.

Murphy received the 10-year sentence in 2009 for kidnapping a woman a year earlier.

He served his sentence alongside other sex offenders in Dublin’s Arbour Hill prison and was released late last month via a side door from the jail.

A garda spokeswoman confirmed: A male in his mid 30s was arrested this morning in the north inner city over the false imprisonment of a female.

“He is currently detained at Store Street station under section four of the criminal justice act.”


Murphy, a father of three, was jailed after being convicted of falsely imprisoning a Polish woman in Clondalkin on June 7, 2008.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court was told Murphy was nominated as a suspect on the basis of his modus operandi.

Judge Frank O’Donnell said that during the trial it had been put to Murphy, who denied the charges, that he had been “scouring the countryside looking for a victim”, but noted that he could only deal with the evidence before him.

He imposed a 10-year sentence for the false imprisonment offence and a three-year sentence for producing a knife, to run concurrently.


Det Insp Peter O’Boyle told the court that the woman was waiting at a bus stop at 6.30am to go to work when a car pulled up.

The driver offered to give her a lift, but at first she refused. He returned a short time later and again offered to give her a lift. The woman got into the car and they drove a distance, chatting normally.

She asked the man to turn right towards her workplace but he told her he had to get petrol.

She asked to get out of the car, but he produced a craft knife and told her to be quiet or he would cut her.

The woman pleaded with him and believed she was going to be raped or killed.

“The fear will never leave me,” she said in a statement.

Det Insp O’Boyle said the woman tried to jump out of the moving car but was restrained by the seatbelts.

She eventually released the belt and when the car stopped she fled from it towards her workplace.

After his release on February 23  Murphy was driven to the housing section of South Dublin County Council in Tallaght.

Murphy – with previous addresses at Elmbrook Crescent, Lucan, and Lindisfarne Vale, Clondalkin – left a short time later without speaking.

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News