Tuesday 20 March 2018

Picture exclusive: Serial rapist Michael Murray lives beside UCD and sunbathes on college campus

Michael Murray outside his apartment.
Michael Murray outside his apartment.
Michael Murray outside his apartment.
Michael Murray walking in the grounds of UCD.
Michael Murray sunbathing in the grounds of UCD.
Michael Murray
Reporter Robin Schiller speaks to Michael Murray outside his apartment.

Ken Foy and Robin Schiller

A dangerous rapist is living in an apartment beside University College Dublin and regularly goes on to the campus where thousands of female students are based.

We tracked down twisted serial rapist Michael Murray (55) this week as he lurked outside the gates of UCD in the Belfield area of Dublin 4 before going into the grounds to sunbathe with his top off.

We photographed Murray, who was sporting a beard and wearing a blue T-shirt and cream shorts, as he walked the short distance from his apartment to UCD in the sunshine.

After walking on to the campus, he lay on the grass beside a running track and removed his T-shirt.

Michael Murray
Michael Murray

Dozens of students walked by, oblivious to the fact that the man sunbathing just feet away is a convicted rapist and classified as one of the country's most dangerous sex offenders.

When approached by the Herald and asked about his current living arrangements, Murray said: "Who wants to know?"

We identified ourselves and asked if he thought it was acceptable that a convicted rapist was living adjacent to a college campus and using the grounds to sunbathe.

"No comment," he said, before putting in his earphones and running away.

Sources said security staff at UCD have been notified of Murray's presence in the locality, as have officers at nearby Donnybrook Garda Station.

He has also been observed drinking coffee in a pub on Upper Baggot Street as well as in a cafe in the same area in recent weeks.

Reporter Robin Schiller speaks to Michael Murray outside his apartment.
Reporter Robin Schiller speaks to Michael Murray outside his apartment.

These are the first public sightings of depraved sex beast Murray for almost four years.

It is not known how long he has lived in the Montrose area. He previously lived in Ballsbridge for more than a year, and in the north inner city after his release from jail in 2009.

Murray was caged in 1996 for raping four women and sexually assaulting two others in south Dublin during a six-day reign of terror in September 1995.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy after walking into the back garden of a house in Dun Laoghaire.

After his release from that sentence, he returned to the house in Sallynoggin where he lived with his mother.

The Central Criminal Court heard Murray carried out the attacks between September 18 and 23.

At his trial, two of his victims told the court they thought they were going to die.

His first rapes took place in Dalkey, Killiney and Monks-town, but he then began to move out of the area.

His next victim was in Rathmines, where he attacked and stabbed a girl.

After days of surveillance, he was seen returning to his mother's house and was arrested.

Murray was eventually sentenced to 18 years, but with standard remission he served only 13.

Senior detectives expressed major concern when he was once again free to prowl the streets in 2009.

One officer with extensive knowledge of Murray told the Herald he would classify him "equally as dangerous" as notorious fellow rapist Larry Murphy.

Like Murphy, Murray refused to take part in any rehabilitation programmes during his jail term.

In June 2010, the deluded sicko went to the High Court to complain about media coverage of him, but the court refused to grant him an injunction preventing newspapers from publishing his address and pictures of him.

Murray said in his affidavit that he had attended a psychologist while in Wheatfield and Castlerea prisons and had stopped using drugs and alcohol.

He said he engaged with the probation service before and after his release and obtained its help in getting accommodation.

The Herald

Online Editors

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News