Photos: Golf clubhouse gutted in early morning blaze
The clubhouse at Dunmore Golf Club has been completely destroyed by a fire which broke out early this morning.
Four units and two crews from Tramore and Dunmore East fire stations rushed to the scene at 3.50am, after the owner of the golf club alerted them to the blaze.
The clubhouse, which overlooks the sea, was completely gutted in the fire.
Fire fighters worked until after 6am to completely quench the blaze, as weather conditions last night exacerbated the fire.
Sergeant Larry Langton from Waterford Garda Station said gardai also attended the scene.
"The place is completely gutted – the roof and everything caved in. It was very windy last night so the wind helped fan the fire; it went straight up."
“The scene is being technically examined and we’ll have to wait for results to see if the cause of the fire was malicious or an accident."
Meanwhile, one local told independent.ie: "Just the four walls are left and the chimney stack. It was very breezy last night so once it started there was no chance."
“The owner of the club lives just next door to the golf club. He has an automatic alarm system, and he would have headed up straight away.”
“The fire station is only about 400 or 500 yards away so they would have headed straight up the hill.”
The building, a single-storey bungalow, has been used by around 500 members of the golf club for around 20 years. The scenic golf course looks onto the sea.
Fire crews left the scene at 7.30am today.