Tuesday 20 February 2018

Mum's fire injury shows 'invisible threat' of BBQ

A warning has been issued after a mother suffered severe injuries when lighting a barbecue
A warning has been issued after a mother suffered severe injuries when lighting a barbecue

David Raleigh

A senior fire officer has warned people they face an "invisible threat" when dealing with barbecues, especially in summer months.

The stark safety warning was issued after a nurse's head was engulfed in flames as she tended to a barbecue in Co Limerick.

Mother of five Joanne McMahon, from Castlemahon, was attempting to relight a bain-marie, that contained already barbecued food, with methylated spirits when it suddenly flared up and exploded.

Assistant Chief Fire Officer, Limerick City & Count Fire Service, Seamus Barrett, who issued a general barbecue safety warning, said people should "never use accelerants" to start or reignite a barbecue.

"These accelerants can take in air and accumulate it before they explode," he said.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News