Saturday 21 July 2018

Mum of toddler who almost choked on marshmallow - 'we're giving her extra cuddles, other families aren't so lucky'

Niamh and David Reid with their daughters Doireann and Eorann
Niamh and David Reid with their daughters Doireann and Eorann
Kathy Armstrong

Kathy Armstrong

The mother of a toddler who turned blue and lost consciousness after choking on a marshmallow has said, "I'm giving her extra cuddles, other parents aren't so lucky."

Niamh Reid feared the worse when her 18-month-old daughter Doireann started to choke while she was eating a marshmallow and now she wants to warn others about the dangers of the sweet.

Niamh, who is from Collon in Co Louth, told Independent.ie: "On Friday the 13th Doireann was in her childminder's and she was given a rice krispie bun with a little marshmallow but she started to choke and lost consciousness.

"Just as myself and my husband David came in to collect her she was blue and unresponsive.

Doireann's family feared the worst when she lost consciousness
Doireann's family feared the worst when she lost consciousness

"It took what felt like an eternity for the emergency services to come and just before they did she let out a cough and an almighty cry, just like she did on the day she was born.

"I've never been so relieved, in that moment I really didn't know what would happen."

Doireann was brought to Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda, where doctors thankfully confirmed that no lasting damage was done.

Niamh, who is also mum to Eorann (3), said: "They told us in the hospital that marshmallows and popcorn are two of the biggest causes of choking in children, I wouldn't have thought twice about giving her a marshmallow before because they're soft.
"I put up a Facebook status about it and it just went crazy, I've had so many messages from parents and childminders saying they never knew the dangers of marshmallows so at least something good has come from this if it helps others."
She also said they feel "incredibly blessed" that Doireann is okay.

Doireann and Niamh leaving hospital after the incident
Doireann and Niamh leaving hospital after the incident

She said: "She is back to herself already, we were incredibly blessed and lucky because in that moment we really didn't think it would end well, it was horrible.

"We are giving Doireann extra cuddles because we know we had a lucky ending and sadly other families aren't so lucky."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News