Mum of coma patient told 'there is nothing more we can do here' by doctors
The mum of coma patient was told that “there is nothing more we can do here” by doctors when her son was transferred from Beaumont Hospital.
Darren Corrigan, (22) from Screen, County Wexford has been in a non-responsive, vegetative state since sustaining injuries in a quad bike accident in June 2016.
Darren was transferred back to Wexford General and his mum Marissa was told that there was nothing more that could be done for him in the neurological ward in Beaumont.
“They didn’t give us any choice” she told RTÉ Radio 1's Liveline as he was being transported earlier this week.
“I was very surprised at their actions because I feel Darren is very vulnerable at the moment, they didn't really give us any options really,” she said on Joe Duffy’s show. "We feel safer here [Beaumont] as it has the neurological unit.”
The Wexford mother said that Darren had recently picked up a number of hospital bugs and meningitis. He was recently taken off life support and is breathing on his own.
“He is not responsive to us, but responsive to himself. He opens his eyes himself, he might do a stretch of his arms, but there are no actual significant demands,” she continued.
Darren was taken back to Beaumont Hospital recently for a surgery to insert a plate into his head after having half of his skull removed.
“I do appreciate him being in Wexford because I think the world of Wexford General Hospital. They've accepted us and made us feel very welcome as a family and friends, we all are very welcome there.
"But I suppose the insecurity of it all is that Darren has been so unwell here. He's only one night off the ventilator to be told that he's being moved. It's the shock of it all really.”
She added, "it all happened so quickly. He's very very sick, he's on a ventilator. So your initial thought is 'Is this for real?'"
“His whole family’s life has changed, everyone’s life has changed. It’s very hard. There is nothing that can build us to a future. Every day we are just in limbo,” she said.
She warned of the dangers of quad biking, saying “all the young people think life doesn't change and it does. And it can change so simply and there's nothing you can do."
Darren had returned home from work at the family business, C&C building providers and hardware store in Screen, and said he was going for a spin with a friend in a nearby field.
He hit a bump in the field. The quad bike went up in the air and struck him on the side of the head as it landed. He wasn't wearing a helmet.
It was a few weeks before his 21st birthday.