Tuesday 21 May 2019

Molly and Tom Martens' family 'take campaign to the streets' ahead of appeal over Jason Corbett murder

Molly and Thomas Martens will serve 20-year sentences for the murder of Jason Corbett
Molly and Thomas Martens will serve 20-year sentences for the murder of Jason Corbett
Kathy Armstrong

Kathy Armstrong

Molly Martens' family has claimed that Americans are "outraged" that she was convicted of murdering her husband, Irish businessman Jason Corbett.

Earlier this month Molly and her father Tom were convicted of the second-degree murder of Limerick native Corbett at his North Carolina home in August 2015.

Davidson County Court heard that father-of-two Jason sustained injuries similar to a car crash victim after his skull was repeatedly hit with a brick and steel baseball bat, while Molly (33) and retired-FBI agent Tom (67) were not harmed.

Molly and Tom were both sentenced to 20 to 25 years behind bars and th's legal team are planning to appeal the verdict and their relatives have began fundraising to cover the legal costs.

Mona Earnest - who is married to Molly's uncle Michael Earnest - posted pictures on their Go Get Funding page today of their supporters handing out leaflets about their conviction in Washngton.

She said: "Today we took our campaign to the streets of Washington DC to spread the word about how Tom saved his daughter's life and how the State of NC convicted them both for 2nd degree murder.

Molly Martens-Corbett with husband Jason: Unheard evidence ‘will prove she acted in self-defence’.
Molly Martens-Corbett with husband Jason: Unheard evidence ‘will prove she acted in self-defence’.

"Our fellow Americans were outraged. Thank you again for your continued support."

Read More: Molly Martens: Alternate juror says some 'inappropriately discussed' case despite judge's warnings

She also shared a picture of one of the posters, which claim that the pair were defending themselves when they murdered Mr Corbett.

The posters say: "On August 2 2015 Tom (a retired FBI agent) saved his daughter Molly's life.

"On August 9 2017 the State of North Carolina convicted both of them for second degree murder.

"Self defence is not a crime.

"We need your help to raise awareness and resources."

Read More: Prosecutors ask judge to dismiss Martens' motion to overturn trial after jurors' 'social media posts'

They are aiming to raise $300,000 (€250,000) but so far less than $19,000 (€15,860) has been donated.

Mona has also begged several well-known personalities - including former US President Barack Obama - for help.

Ms Earnest asked Obama to "help right this terrible injustice".

She said the verdict will "destroy the foundation of our jury system if allowed to stand," before adding that "self defense is not a crime in our country".

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News