'Mindless cruelty' - 'horrendous' attack on pet leaves pellets lodged in cat's skull and shoulder
A ‘horrendous act of animal cruelty’ is how Tralee woman Miriam Dowling described the sickening attack on her pet cat Heidi, who was found with pellets lodged in her skull and shoulder.
Miriam, who works as a veterinary nurse at Danny Holmes’ Veterinary Clinic in Tralee, returned to her O’Rahilly’s Villas home in the town after work recently to discover her cat with blood on its shoulder and limping in a disoriented state.
At first, Miriam thought it had been in a fight and applied antibacterial cream to prevent infection.
But after a few days the cat’s wounds failed to heal and Miriam brought Heidi to see vet Danny Holmes where X-Rays showed two pellets lodged in the animal – one in its shoulder and one in its skull.
In a lucky escape, no trace of an incision was detected on the cat’s skull which meant that the pellet must have travelled through the animal’s mouth before getting lodging in its jaw.
"She’s a pure pet and how someone can do this is just beyond me. It’s just mindless cruelty and hopefully by making this public it might make people aware of what can happen their pets when people like this are around," Miriam told The Kerryman.
Miriam said that since the incident, her boyfriend has called to neighbours who own pets, warning them to take note of what had happened.
"I’m living in O’Rahilly’s Villas over a year and it’s such a quiet area," Miriam told The Kerryman.
"I really can’t understand why anyone would do this. There’s nothing this cat could have done to merit someone trying to shoot her. In my view the culprit was either trying to kill her or use her as target practice. It’s just disgusting.
"She’s a family pet and is lucky the pellet in her skull didn’t kill her. This sort of casual cruelty needs to be stamped out. If it’s a younger person who’s responsible, then hopefully their parents are reading this and will stop it.”
Heidi underwent surgery on Monday and had the pellet removed from her shoulder but the vet was unable to remove the pellet from her jaw as it has become embedded in the jawbone.