Ian Bailey has contacted gardaí after receiving a “threatening” phone call in the early hours of yesterday from a man with a French accent.
The former journalist said he answered his phone to a private number at 1.43am and a man said: “Bailey, the net is closing in on you.”
Bailey hung up, but the caller rang back 10 minutes later, although he did not answer the call.
He contacted gardaí yesterday to report what he described as a “threatening and menacing call”.
“The man at the end of the phone was either French or was putting on a faux French accent,” he said.
“I found it very menacing and threatening. I’m taking it very seriously.”
Bailey has consistently denied any involvement in the 1996 murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier outside Schull, West Cork.
He said he was fearful someone could try to kidnap him and take him to France, where the authorities are attempting to retry him over the unsolved murder.
He has already been found guilty in France of the killing, but the Irish authorities have turned down a request for his extradition.
Bailey faces a re-trial if he ever sets foot in France.
“It might sound far-fetched, but there is always a possibility someone could try to kidnap me and take me to France,” he said.
“I’m taking the phone call and my own personal safety very seriously.”
He said the call followed on from comments by French president Emmanuel Macron about his conviction in France, which the former journalist “found menacing”.
Mr Macron said during an official visit to Dublin last month: “Should the person condemned agree to come to France, a new trial could be organised, but so far he has been refusing to do so.
“The French court is now considering what to do next and it’s leaving a window, a period of time, for the Irish and French courts to decide what to do next.”
Ms Toscan du Plantier’s battered body was discovered in a laneway near her holiday home on the morning of December 23, 1996 by a neighbour. Her killer has never been found.
Bailey was twice arrested and questioned over her death, but the DPP ruled on two occasions that he should not be charged.
He and Ms Toscan du Plantier’s family have called for a renewed garda investigation into the murder.