Sunday 18 March 2018

Man on stag party remains in critical condition after vicious gang attack

Robin Schiller

A 40-year-old man remains in critical condition in hospital after a vicious gang attack while on a stag party in Co Leitrim.

The man, named locally as Ger Doolan (40), who is originally from Dublin, was set upon by a gang on the Main Street of Carrick-on-Shannon in the early hours of Sunday morning.

It’s understood that he had been on a stag party in the Co Leitrim town for the weekend.

Emergency services rushed to the scene and the injured man was brought to Sligo University Hospital.

His condition is described as critical and he was transferred to the specialist head unit at Beaumont Hospital in Dublin on Monday evening.

Mr Doolan had gotten married just weeks before the shocking attack. A friend of the victim described him as “one of the nicest lads you could meet”.

Gardai believe he was the victim of an unprovoked gang attack during which he was repeatedly struck on the head outside a fastfood takeaway.

The incident occurred on the footpath of the town’s Main Street, when a group of at least three people – both male and female – approached the man.

The two parties got into a dispute which eventually led to the injured man being attacked, suffering serious head injuries.

Gardai have interviewed a number of witnesses and viewed CCTV covering the area, but no arrests have been made.


Meanwhile, the body of a 33-year-old man who had been missing from Carrick-on-Shannon was recovered yesterday afternoon.

Colm ‘Buddy’ Boylan, from Bohermeen, Co Meath, was last seen at 1.30am on Sunday morning, and a search operation was put in place to find the missing man.

Tragically, Mr Boylan’s

remains were recovered from a river in the town shortly after 12pm yesterday.

It’s understood that he had been part of a different stag party in the Co Leitrim town for the weekend.


Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News