Thursday 18 January 2018

Man (28) dies and three men remain in hospital after early morning boating tragedy

The S92 Irish Coast Guard rescue helicopter
The S92 Irish Coast Guard rescue helicopter
University Hospital Limerick

David Raleigh

A 28-year old man has died, and and three others are in hospital, following a boating tragedy on the Lower River Shannon this morning.

The young man passed away this afternoon following the tragic incident, gardai confirmed to

Four men who were reportedly fishing on a small rowing boat on the river, at World's End, Castleconnell, Co Limerick, got into difficulty on the water and their boat capsized.

It's understood two of the men, who are all from Castleconnell, were trapped underneath the boat for a period after it became wedged against a line of trees growing in the middle of the river.

One of the men is said to have phoned emergency services at around 4.25am.

After the 999 emergency call was received, a major rescue operation swung into action involving crews from Limerick City and County Fire Service, Gardai, Kilaloe Coast Guard, Limerick Marine Search and Rescue Service, and the Shannon-based Coast Guard Rescue Helicopter.

According to a source in the emergency services, rescue crews were deployed to a "river incident at World's End, Castleconnell, at approximately 4.30am".

"Upon arrival, Swiftwater Rescue Technicians from Limerick Fire Service discovered four men in the water after their boat had capsized."

"The men were found clinging to their boat and stuck in debris."

"The multi agency rescue operation involving Fire Service, Gardai, Paramedics and Coast Guard (including Rescue Helicopter 115) took over three hours due to the positioning of the men in the water."

"All four were rescued and treated on scene for hypothermia with one man's condition described as very serious," the source added.

The four men were rushed by ambulance to University Hospital Limerick (UHL) where one passed away after being in a critical condition. The remaining three are said to be stable.

Gardai at Henry Street are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Online Editors

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News