Saturday 20 January 2018

Man (24) arrested in connection with fatal road accident and carjacking

Scenes of destruction on a Dublin city street after two men stole a taxi and crashed into a pole. Photo: Gareth Chaney
Scenes of destruction on a Dublin city street after two men stole a taxi and crashed into a pole. Photo: Gareth Chaney
Scenes of destruction on a Dublin city street after two men stole a taxi and crashed into a pole. Photo: Gareth Chaney
The scene in the James's Street area of Dublin after a man travelling in a stolen taxi died when it struck a pole
The taxi that crashed this morning. Photo: Fergal Phillips
Conor Feehan

Conor Feehan

Gardai have arrested a 24-year-old man, following a fatal road accident and carjacking in Dublin 8 yesterday.

The man is expected to appear before a sitting of Dublin District Court tomorrow morning charged in connection with the investigation.

A man died on the side of the road after he suffered severe injuries when the stolen taxi he was travelling in crashed.

Alex Doyle (25), from Cuffe Street in Dublin city centre, died from catastrophic injuries after the red Skoda Octavia taxi he and another man hijacked from its driver early yesterday morning crashed into a pole.

The driver of the stolen taxi that ploughed into a pole near Dublin city centre fled the scene as his friend lay dying on the road.

It is the eighth carjacking in the Dublin and Wicklow areas in just over a month.

Doyle and a friend had flagged down the taxi in the Rathfarnham area before getting it to drive to the Oliver Bond flats in Dublin 8.

When they arrived there the taxi driver was assaulted and the two men took his car.

A short time later, at 8.30am, the car overtook a bus between Kilmainham and the city centre and went out of control, slamming into a light pole and then spinning up the road before crashing into a line of parked cars.

Doyle's arm was severed in the initial impact and then he was flung from the wreckage when the taxi hit the parked cars.

He ended up under one of the parked cars and died a short time later after the driver had fled.

Witnesses described the scene of utter horror as the silence of an early Sunday morning was shattered by a massive bang outside Faulkner Terrace near Mount Brown in Dublin 8.


"I heard a very loud bang, I was in the kitchen at the time. I looked up and I could see lots of debris just flying past my window," said one local resident.

"I couldn't believe what I saw when I looked out the door. The side of a red car was left on the path, and then I spotted an arm lying at the side of the road. It was just horrible," he added.

After hitting the pole the wreckage of the car spun around 100 yards up the road before smashing into a row of parked cars.

A taxi coming the other way had to swerve to avoid the spinning car and it crashed into a wall on the opposite side of the road.

After hitting the parked cars Alex Doyle was catapulted out onto the road and under a small SUV vehicle.

"I ran out and I could see the driver of the car standing on the roadway, he was talking on the phone and then he just ran from the scene," another witness said last night.

"He just left the other guy there and ran."

A massive debris field of plastic, metal, and rubber lay all over the road and footpath.

It was clear from the size of the debris and the distance it was thrown that anyone who might have been on the path would have risked serious injury or death.

The battery of the car landed outside a house and exploded, sending scalding acid in all directions.

Irish Independent

Promoted Links

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox every morning.

Promoted Links

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News