Wednesday 13 November 2019

Little puppy Loki has an 'arrow' escape after swallowing toy the length of his body

Loki (4), a a Hungarian Vizsla, underwent emergency surgery to remove a toy arrow from his stomach.
Loki (4), a a Hungarian Vizsla, underwent emergency surgery to remove a toy arrow from his stomach.
Rachel Farrell

Rachel Farrell

A four-month-old puppy had a lucky escape this week after he swallowed an arrow the length of his body.

Loki, a Hungarian Vizsla, came into the vets bouncing - but it soon appeared to staff that something was wrong.

Loki’s owner Olivia Bowen from Blackrock, Dublin explained that he had vomited four days prior to the visit, but the family put it down to being something he ate.

"I checked his throat and felt around and noticed a small lump, but when I checked later there was nothing there. I just thought it was just a bone at first," Olivia told Independent.ie.

"He was keeping food and water down but when he vomited again, I thought it was going on a bit long so we brought him to the vet."

When vet Ruth Wolfsen felt the puppy’s stomach, she discovered a lump "the size of a plum".

The young pup underwent emergency surgery and a 30cm kids' toy arrow was found inside his stomach.

"The arrow measured the length of Loki's body and we were all amazed how he managed to swallow it," vet staff at Village Vets in Stillorgan explained. 

Olivia said the family had "no idea" how he managed to swallow her daughter's toy arrow and that they were shocked when the vet broke the news.

"When they said they found what they thought was a toy arrow I thought- ‘oh my god, I know what that is’," she said.

"Who’d have thought - I thought it was a bug!"

Olivia said Loki is "flying it" after the surgery and back to his usual, bouncy self.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News