Tuesday 17 September 2019

'It's great to have him home' - Joy for family as knife victim (22) released from hospital

Scene of the stabbing in Castlecomer and inset Corina Hennessy and brother Jamie
Scene of the stabbing in Castlecomer and inset Corina Hennessy and brother Jamie

Cathal McMahon

A young man brought back from the dead twice after a vicious stabbing has been released from hospital and returned home to his family.

Jamie Hennessy (22) was given little hope of surviving after he was knifed at a party in Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny on Saturday, August 19.

Stab victim Jamie Hennessy
Stab victim Jamie Hennessy

Doctors had to resuscitate him twice after he was taken to St Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny. He was later moved to the Mater Hospital in Dublin where doctors feared that he might not survive.

Mr Hennessy remained on life support for over two weeks with his mother Sandra maintaining a bedside vigil throughout his treatment.

Now his sister Corina has told Independent.ie that Jamie has had a miracle recover and is now back in his family home.

"He's doing fantastic," Ms Hennessy said. "His voice is fully back and he's eating again.

"He's nearly fully back to normal now."

She agreed that it was a miracle before adding: "It's great to have him home."

Ms Hennessy previously said the family are proud of her brother's fighting spirit.

"He put up an incredible fight and has made his way back to us."

Three men were arrested in connection with the stabbing but all were subsequently released without charge. In August Independent.ie revealed that one of these men was previously arrested for the cold case murder of Gerry Nolan while a second man was arrested over the fatal stabbing of Kieran Monahan in 2012.

17 NEWS PL16187201Kier.jpg
Kieran Monahan was killed at a Valentine’s Day party

Gardai are investigating if the attack was in connection with the murder of Mr Nolan whose caravan was set on fire while he was locked inside in 2006.

Jamie Hennessy, who was just 11 at the time of that attack, had no involvement in the murder of Gerry Nolan.

His girlfriend Jessie Connell previously told Independent.ie that the stabbing was in connection to a dispute over a €20 mobile phone.

Ms Connell also revealed how she dragged Mr Hennessy from the home where they were drinking while two men repeatedly stabbed him.

In an emotional interview Ms Connell said: : “We were in a pool of Jamie’s blood.

“Them dogs that did this didn’t even try run from the scene. They’re all a bunch of sick creeps out there.

"I’ll stand in court if I have to pin them scumbags to a wall."

Nobody has been charged in connection with the attack.

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News