Irish Rail to operate 70 additional Dublin commuter services a day
IRISH Rail plans to introduce more than 70 additional services every day on busy commuters routes into the capital.
Peak and off-peak services will be provided on the Maynooth, Drogheda and Phoenix Park tunnel services from next month, along with an additional train every day between Dublin and Sligo.
The company said while it was operating at maximum capacity during the morning and evening peaks, it could provide additional services in off-peak times and at weekends.
Customers are being asked to provide feedback on the proposals before they are implemented next month.
The service alterations, which are outlined on irishrail.ie, are subject to approval from the National Transport Authority.
Separately, Irish Rail is also increasing capacity on four Dart services in each of the morning and evening peaks, which will be complete by the end of November.
“These proposed changes will give much greater flexibility and options to customers travelling throughout the day, including more weekend and later evening services,” a spokesman said.
“The expansion of the hugely successful Phoenix Park Tunnel service from a peak only service to off-peak on weekdays will be very welcome to customers on the service between Hazelhatch and Grand Canal Dock.
“Expanded Sligo frequency is also being delivered, and we are also responding to feedback from customers to better balance demand for services in North Dublin where we have seen major growth in demand.”
Irish Rail expects to carry record passenger numbers in 2018, exceeding last year’s record total of 45.5 million journeys by 6pc.
It said it will review all suggestions received, and suggested alterations which cannot be implemented will be considered in future timetable reviews.
It added that peak frequency could not be increased, as all fleet was in use.
The main changes are:
- New earlier 05.58hrs Maynooth to Connolly service.
- Six additional off-peak services each way daily between Connolly and Maynooth between Monday and Friday, with a service every half-hour at off-peak times up to 9pm.
- 13 additional off-peak services each way on Saturday between Connolly and Maynooth, with services every half hour between 8am and 7pm.
- 11 additional off-peak services each way on Sunday between Connolly and Maynooth, with a service from Maynooth at 8am, trains every half hour between 11am and 7pm and services operating until 11pm on Sundays.
- M3 Parkway hourly service extended on Sunday evenings to provide connections at Clonsilla to and from later Maynooth services
- Three additional services from Connolly to Drogheda on Mondays to Fridays at 07.50hrs, 09.10hrs and 15.22hrs
- Additional 06.52hrs Dart Connolly to Malahide, to connect to northbound Northern Commuter service for customers from intermediate DART stations
- Three additional services from Drogheda to Connolly on Mondays to Fridays at 09:00, 10:10 and 16:28
- For most of the day, there will be at least two additional trains per hour in each direction.
- 22.05hrs Connolly/Drogheda service on Saturdays advanced to 21.45hrs.
- New service on Saturdays from Connolly to Dundalk at 22:45
- 11 additional services on Sundays, delivering hourly service all day in each direction.
Phoenix Park Tunnel (Grand Canal Dock to Hazelhatch)
- Hourly off-peak service on Mondays to Fridays between Grand Canal Dock and Hazelhatch during the day and up to 23.20 at night.
Dublin / Sligo
- Additional service from Connolly to Sligo, Monday to Friday, at 06.55hrs and 09.05hrs, replacing existing 08.00hrs Connolly to Sligo
- Saturday only 09.05hrs Connolly to Sligo will operate, replacing existing 08.00hrs Connolly to Sligo
- Additional service Sligo to Connolly Monday to Saturday at 16.55hrs (17.00hrs Saturday) and 19.00hrs Sligo to Dublin Connolly, replacing existing 18.00hrs Sligo to Connolly Dublin / Rosslare Europort
- Monday to Friday: 17.33hrs Connolly to Wexford extended to Rosslare Europort, but 18.35hrs Connolly to Rosslare Europort will terminate at Wexford
- Minor Saturday and Sunday time alterations